Table of contents
|Eroding the erosion control part one|
|Remember the C60L used for erosion control in North-East Victoria? In Jauary 2008 I paid a visit with the intention of readying the roof for removal, but first there were some other things in the way to be dealt with, not the least of which was an active wasp nest on the back of the cab! Unfortunately I didn't have any adequate flyspray but was prepared to use the 'catpiss' or WD40 if they attacked, but they seemed to want to keep to themselves fortunately.|
|Here she is in situ. You can see the rear part of the chassis on the left. The truck came like this - Doug bought it as a spares truck along with a second 'good' example, long since sold.
Farmer Doug had the forsight to plant some shady gum trees which helped. What made me a little on edge was the fact January is the height of snake season - the local reptile is the deadly Eastern Brown, several of which we had seen nearby while swimming in a river. The Eastern Brown is not only the third or fourth most venomous snake in the world it is also a good swimmer.
|I had hoped to rescue the hubs but they will need to wait until Doug lifts the remains out of the dirt.||This windscreen frame wasn't too bad. Holden made Chevrolet frames are very susceptible to rust.|
|The interior before and right after gaining access by removal of the doors. The truck had a fairly comprehensive rebuild a long time ago and many bolts had been replaced with whitworth versions which meant I didn't have a spanner to fit.||I had to clear several inches of silt to get at the bolts holding the rear panel to the floor. The winch handbrake will come in handy for the CGT project.|
|The lower hinge was missing and a substitute had been welded on. I've drilled a hole through it to make it easier to cut off with the cold chisel.||This is one of the whitworth bolts holding the door on which I had to drill out. The doors themselves were full of silt and the latches had jammed meaning the easy way to open them was to remove the hinges.|
|The scene as I was about to pack up. The drill is a wonderful Bosch 36 volt Li-ion tool.
The Sunshine roof is excellent but has had a galvanised cover attached.
|Some of the loot. The seats had been painted a duck egg green and the truck itself was a dark RAAF blue. It had probably been a dropside tray with an added winch, but during a rebuild had acquired a cab or at least the roof from a C15A|
|Just under a week later I returned with reinforcements in the shape of Euan and cargo trailer.|